home flickr
Your Ad Here

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Okaaay... I need to backtrack a little here.
Last Tuesday and Wednesday were public holidays here (hear that all you Australians? Yeh that's right 2 days off).. celebrating, as far as I can tell either or both of Hari Raya and Deepavali.

I won't try to explain these days relevance from what I've gleaned from taxi (sorry 'Teksi') drivers and passersby, I will, instead, lean towards my friend Wikipedia:


"Hari Raya (Malay for "Day of Celebration") is a term used in Malaysia that can apply to the Muslim festivals of Eid ul-Fitr or Eid ul-Adha. Typically, simply "Hari Raya" refers to Eid ul-Fitr, which is also known as "Hari Raya Aidilfitri" or "Hari Raya Puasa" (literally "Fasting Day of Celebration").

As Eid ul-Fitr often coincides with either the Hindu festival of Deepavali or the Chinese New Year, which are both celebrated in Malaysia, portmanteaus such as DeepaRaya or Kongsi Raya have been created that refer to Eid ul-Fitr and one of the two festivals."


"Diwali, also called Deepavali, is a major Hindu festival that is also very significant in Sikhism and Hinduism. Known as the "Festival of Lights," it symbolises the victory of good over evil, and lamps are lit as a sign of celebration and hope for mankind. Celebrations focus on lights and lamps, particularly traditional diyas. Fireworks are associated with the festival in many regions.."


So there... make sense of that?

Oh Good.

In Australia, possibly the most humorous concept put to us by overseas tourists is the notion that kangaroos are everywhere, even in the main street of Sydney (hahaha, oh you crazy foreigners! oh...wait a minute.. i am one now).

Well, last week a monkey wandered into work. A bloody monkey! I like monkeys, though they freak me out a bit.




They're just big enough to be a major hassle if one jumped on you, and they look like they're seriously considering it, all the time.

When i went to the bird park, there were some monkeys sitting on top of a gate i had to walk through... i started to open it and they screeched at me a bit, and there was one that was just grinning at me. I seriously thought he was going to jump on my head.

He wore the same expression I wore when I was 20 years old, drunk and just been dared to jump off a roof or something similar.

Anyways, that's tonights post. Hope you enjoyed it.
Oh, just wanted to say a big Hi and thankyou to everyone who I've spoken to on googletalk, messenger, email, telephone who has lend me their support, and told me how much quieter the place is without me back there.

Some have even gone as far as to say they miss me, but let's be honest, that's just pillow talk really.

;)

...till next time.
Oh and visit my good friend Enclave's LiveJournal. Writing like this makes me wonder if I should really put some effort into this blog, or just give up completely.

Laters.

1 comment:

Dataceptionist said...

I think your blog is better than Enclaves. He/she sounds a bit whiny sorry. I like you Glenny!!!

Odd Search