home flickr
Your Ad Here

Tuesday, December 19, 2006



Two sleeps till Sydney..

I'm leaving KL around 10:40pm Wednesday night, arriving in Sydney about 9:30am Thursday morning. Straight to bed methinx. I tend not to sleep on flights, and certainly not soundly, so I'm planning on feeling pretty wrecked when I arrive. Perhaps disorientated with all the familiarity?

It's been a while since it happened, but every now and then I've caught myself identifying a little piece of the environment, an entrance to a freeway here in Kuala Lumpur, for instance as being from near my home in Sydney. I have to shock myself back into reality that this simply cannot be the case. It's weird the little tricks the brain plays on itself. And why? To give me a taste of the familiar?

...So we don't freak out suddenly because we're so far from everything and everyone we care about? Is that why this hasn't happened to me for a while, because I have new cares here? Who know... perhaps who cares? Maybe because things here are starting to become familiar... I'm starting to slot in.

Being here has really made me look at so many things that I took for granted in a new light. Things are exciting here, because they're so chaotic... Sydney is organised and graceful by comparison.

I guess it's the familiarity of our expat nations that draws us together... It's that common sociological ideal that we cling to when things get a bit nuts.

Perhaps that same thing that keeps the foreigner in us.... The idea that when that market gets that bit too crowded, when the traffic that bit too noisy, or that meal just that bit too unidentifiable, that we crawl back to our safety blanket of memories all those in-flight movies away.

I'm not saying that it's particularly a good thing... it stops up from truly experiencing the wonderful alien environment that we find ourselves in... it stops up from truly embracing the friendly smiling people who wave to you from their cars and bikes (ironically perhaps because I am a foreigner?), and stops us from embracing another way of life that we really have so much to learn from and also so much to share with.

I am looking forward to getting home to everyone... I look forward collapsing into a heap for hours, then getting up and just staring off into the sky a bit more often than usual, but I'm definitely also looking forward to getting back over here and starting this adventure all over again.




1 comment:

bigfatballoflove said...

Merry x-mas mofaka, I miss that sweet ass of yours. Hopefully i'll catch you on this trip back. If you not doing anything x-mas come over we have food, drink and superhappyfuntimes.

*may not contain superhappyfuntimes

Odd Search