home flickr
Your Ad Here

Saturday, July 19, 2008

p1060100

~ And back from Borneo!


img_0813

img_0895

An excellent, action-packed whirlwind trip. The flight to Sarawak was smooth & uneventful, and after checking into the hotel we ventured out for lunch. Our team above, Isaac, Grace, Peilin & myself and my white legs.

img_0832

img_0835

Aah, chicken rice. It rained as we were walking out. Rain was to become a bit of a theme of this trip actually.

img_0884

We caught the bus out to the Sarawak cultural village in the afternoon, which was a pretty quick trip (about 45 mins) once we freed ourselves from the relative rarity that is a Kuching traffic jam, but it was about 5:30pm on a Friday so to be expected really.
I have to say, the rumours are true, the drivers in Kuching rearry really are much more sane than here in KL. Not that this is very difficult to achieve, as I'm sure I've 'waxed lyrical' about the drivers here, so I won't rave on about the topic again here.

img_0952

Anyway, Kuching! It's a pretty little city, lots of green & very low-key, I would have liked to have a little more time to explore it, but no matter, next time. The world music festival was our main destination this time.


p1060144

Each morning, my girlie and I indulged mightily on the provided breakfast at the hotel, our partners in adventure, Grace & Isaac apparently didn't need such sustenance, and slept through breakfast every morning, so I include this photo for their benefit ~(:^D)

img_0891

The busride out to the cultural village was quite beautiful:

img_0865


Hiroshi Motofuji ~ taiko master!

Taiko master Hiroshi Motofuji

.. and then it rained! And rained. And rained some more.
Advantages: cooled everything down.
Disadvantages: mud, mud everywhere.

p1060230

p1060072

p1060091

Saturday we had the day off from the festival, which is not to suggest that we relaxed our weary festival muscles. No sireee, we went trekking in the Bako national park. Unlike the saying, this was not just 'a walk in the park'. We chose (quite sensibly it seemed at the time) a 2.6km hike, but after several hours we decided it was too much even for our hardened computer dude muscles.

p1060121

It was still really worthwhile, but I'm pretty sure I've never sweated so much in my life. Some awesome scenery though.

p1060123

Then Sunday, it was back to the festival, and that's right, more rain!
But check out the awesome hat on the guy on the right! Tell me it wasn't all worth it, just for that hat.

p1060222


p1060264

Monday was an actual day off, and with our return flight back to KL at 5:30pm, we indulged in some shopping.


img_0009

img_0005


img_0010

img_0006

img_0981




Epilogue

Apologies for this post being so late, it appears that I brought an unwelcome visitor back with me from Borneo, the damn dreaded dengue fever. My last two weeks has been in various versions of the below picture, but all good, on the mend now.


No comments:

Odd Search