home flickr
Your Ad Here

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mutton and Chicken

P1000693

Heeey. Greetings again from Malaysia. The title of todays post may seem more obscure than usual, but all will be made clear. The moral of todays tale is 'don't assume anything'.

Firstly, 'Mutton'... I've mentioned before how much I'm enjoying the food here in Malaysia, and the variety of unusual foods is great for those times that you're feeling brave and willing to expand your horizons. But sometimes also, you might just want to sit down with some local cuisine that is just not quite so freaky. (Frog Porridge I'm looking at you.)

Now of course there is no real shortage of curry here, which is fine, as I like curry. One of the curries I've been happily tucking into for lunch is mutton curry. In Australia, mutton is quite common as we have a large sheep population, and the meat of the younger ones is known as lamb, the older ones is mutton. So yeh, been tucking into a mutton curry or three. Except I find out on Thursday that mutton is not sheep here, it's GOAT.
So yeh, that was a bit of a surprise. Goat is not (widely) eaten in Australia. Certainly I don't know anyone who eats it.

P1000689

Also discovered that it's not good to use the word 'chicken' when play teasing a sweet little chinese girl. I was gently, kindly advised later that it's chinese slang for prostitute. Ack! I could have swallowed my tongue. It's been a long time since I've felt THAT sorry. 'Duck' is slang for gigolo, in case you were wondering...

Anyways, so yes, a tale of two meats. Everything is going great guns over here... You may laugh, but when sometimes things get too chaotic over here, i do miss the relative calm of Sydney.

Till next time...


P1000669


1 comment:

Dataceptionist said...

that's hilarious, I love it!!!

Odd Search