home flickr
Your Ad Here

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sydney, week 3: units, gumboots and missed buses..

.. the view from what will hopefully be my new kitchen window ..


Ok, I guess it's time to report in after relocating to Sydney 3 weeks ago.
Some great news, my wife's spouse visa has been granted! I'm very impressed that the whole process from interview to approval took only about 6 weeks. She's currently still back in Malaysia, so this means she'll be able to join me in Australia very soon.

Yesterday I went looking for a unit to rent, my friend Brian very kindly offered to drive me around, in return I bought him lunch (roast duck laksa from 'wok n roll' at Carlingford Court).

We looked at three places, but the 2nd two had about 15 other ppl also looking at them too, so as I kinda need a place asap, I decided to apply for the first place we looked at, even though it's not quite in the area I was looking at initially, it's still pretty close.

It also satisfies my top 5 list of requirements:
  1. not on the ground floor (more security higher up)
  2. has a balcony
  3. built-in wardrobe in the main bedroom
  4. walking distance to supermarket and train station
  5. security door (you can open the main door and let the air in in summer, y'see..)
The real estate said that I should find out as early as 2moro afternoon if I've got the place or not. Fingers crossed. I think I'm in with a good chance. We've got the easter long weekend coming up this weekend coming, so that's Friday and Monday off work. Would be perfect moving time.

I've caught a couple of wrong buses on my way home over the last couple of weeks, resulting in a total walking time (so far) of an hour and a half to get home. I'm memorised the bus numbers I can catch now.. so that shouldn't happen again. Thankfully I had google maps and gps on my phone.


It rained every day last week and I've noticed an interesting fashion change in Sydney since I last lived here.. fashion gumboots. Yep, that's right, the humble wellington boot has moved out of the paddock and into Oxford Street.


I've seen two women wearing these in the last week. Both were aged in their mid-twenties, the first went for the standard classly black model gumboot, the 2nd decided to go for a more avant-garde marbled red green and brown number. I wish I'd taken photos, but I thought it would probably get me into trouble to be caught photographing womens legs on the bus. I've found some examples online though:




Pretty funky. There are even forums on them on vogue.com.au here and here. So they must be very cool ladies.




Not much else to report really. Life is pretty back to basics at the moment, today the only news I have is that I've bought a clothes rack and an ironing board. Whoop-de-doo.


Also have been watching lots of 'Flight of the Conchords' .. did I mention that previously? If you haven't seen it, check it out.

2 comments:

J.B. said...

hey! love your blog site & wld love it if u cld look at mine. just starting in the gumboot business. let me know what you think. cheers.

Glenda said...

hiya, I have both these gum boots, I live on a farm in nsw and need them., I love your blog, love glenda

Odd Search