home flickr
Your Ad Here

Sunday, January 18, 2009

.. and back from Sydney

p1070153


My girlie and I recently flew back to Sydney to spend xmas and (gwei-lo) new years with my friends and family. It was her first trip to Oz, and as we're planning on moving back there in a couple of months time, it was also the 'sell the city to the girl' trip. :)

.. I think it was successful.

p1070015

We :
  • walked across the Sydney Harbour Bridge
  • Caught the ferry to Manly & went to the beach
  • Ate meat pies
  • Drank Australian beers
  • Had nice coffee in the CBD
  • Went to Chinatown for dinner
  • Caught Sydney trains
  • Caught Sydney buses
  • Caught Sydney taxi's
  • Lunch and clothes shopping in Newtown
  • Roamed around the Rocks markets

.. The only thing I can think of offhand that we didn't get to do was go to Glebe markets, which is one of my alltime favourite Sydney rituals. Ever since I was at university in sunny Wagga Wagga, the two or three times a year that I was able to trek across to Sydney and go to the Glebe markets was the epitomy of Sydney cosmopolitanism for me.

I'm pretty sure that says more about me than it does about Sydney =)

Anyhoo, here's a few pics.


img_1695
inside the ritzy sactum of the QVB

img_1703
Jet coffeee is goood coffeee

img_1689
QVB's indigenous tile design

img_1740
Delish Turkey Xmas dinner at my sisters house..

img_1817
Pei Lin in tropical Eastwood

p1070103
obligatory Harbour bridge pic

p1070165
on the ferry to Manly

img_1687
Speed chess is a spectator sport, (or was it cleavage?)

p1070054
Down & out on Elizabeth st (bum on seat)

p1070101
looking from the Opera house back to the city

img_1816
Australian Chinese food - lunch in Eastwood.
Top right is not Char Kway Teow, despite what the menu says.

p1070093
:)

p1070047
out

p1070048
in

img_1718
transit 1

img_1717
transit 2

img_1716
transit 3

p1070138
Town Hall stn escalator detail

p1070120
train detail (yes, we caught a lot if trains)

p1070009
Building detail on Elizabeth street

I wasn't sure about the prospect of moving back, would I be bored with everything being so familiar?
Nope. I'm looking forward to it.

It's not about 'there's no place like home' ~ I'm not originally from Sydney but from a small town in South Central NSW ... and sorry to say, but I don't really miss that place at all. Home is where the heart is. I've always loved city life. There may be a time when I move away from it, but I will always enjoy returning.

Sydney is a lovely city, sometimes we need to step away to see things more clearly :)

No comments:

Odd Search