home flickr
Your Ad Here

Monday, December 08, 2003

.: six :. the other white meat


...You might be relieved to read that I am a bit surprised myself to find that the motivating factor in adding this entry was a line from 'pinky and the brain', the topic being the importance of recreation by, of course, brain.

"recreate.... you must recreate yourself by persuing diversions apart from your quotidian responsibilities."

...now dictionary.com lists recreation as being :

"\Rec"re*a"tion\ (-?"sh?n), n. [F. r['e]cr['e]ation, L. recreatio.] The act of recreating, or the state of being recreated; refreshment of the strength and spirits after toil; amusement; diversion; sport; pastime."

and quotidian...

quo·tid·i·an (kw-td-n)
adj. Everyday; commonplace: “There's nothing quite like a real... train conductor to add color to a quotidian commute”


...and for some reason that phrase just clicked with me... I've been working on so much for so long now (being a logging system for kids holiday activities for a council down in melbourne) that suddenly to have it finished-and-delivered-and-working to the customer has left a gap in my headspace that i'm now searching now to fill.


I have plenty of things to do: music, art, website stuff, graphic design, I could even include in this list things that i would put on my 'to do' list like learning to cook something new, learn another language, ...yet i procrastinate.


...and i was wondering why. And it's not just me, I have several good friends which i have talked to about this, and they feel similarly.


...The above 'pinky and the brain' quote, while i won't go overboard and say caused an epiphany, made me realise at least one reason why this might be. Everything i do has a goal, be it in itself or part of a bigger picture. I don't really do anything 'just for', for the fun of itself (ok, perhaps bar a few drinks with friends on the weekend). I have always wanted to put together a comic strip, not become a side-character in one.


So I am going to get out there and experiment with this...


I remember saying not so long ago how much more ready for work i would feel on monday morning if i had got out on the weekend and just 'done something' (typically walking around the city, going to the markets, perhaps the beach, shopping, dinner somewhere..) and i previously offered some reasons why that might be:



  • exposure to sun after a week in the office gives me a vitamin d boost [known to decrease depression],

  • physical exercise releasing endorphins,

  • buying new *stuff*, otherwise known as 'retail therapy'

  • perhaps just simply: doing something different,




....and i think i can add my new reasoning to this.

...In other news, last Friday night was our work xmas party, complete with elvis impersonator. It was held at 'le montage' restaurant.
... I cooked prawn curry for dinner. It was good.

....later.

Odd Search